Art Director / Assistant Art Director – The Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Art Director / Assistant Art Director
The Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News – Philadelphia, PA, 1982 to Present
Art Director 1999-2011. Assistant Art Director 1982-1999.
- Collect organize and update all information from sales staff and accounts.
- Direct Graphic Artist and assign projects to staff of up to 18 designers.
- Worked with management and sales staff to prepare advertising programs for clients such as Boscov’s, Home Depot, Precision Cars of Atlantic City, Martin Main Line Honda.
- The Golden Inn. Park National Bank and more, leading to substantial revenue increases.
- Active in “Making Things Better Program” Leading a team of Graphic and Production personnel in conjunction with Human Resources Department to enhance the relationship between the account, sales staff and our production /prepress departments.
- Certificate of Achievement Technology / Innovation KRI Excellence Award.
- Worked with VP of Marketing Battleship New Jersey to produce tabloid newspaper covering the history of the Battleship as well as activities and services offered to the public.
Artist / Designer
Matthey Print – Malvern, PA, April 1982 to November 1982
- Specialized in designing and configuring decals for ceramic application.
- Responsible for assigned projects from prototype to finished color separations.
- Accounts included Lenox China, Gorham China, Franklin Mint, Bradford Exchange and more.
Assistant Art Director / Designer
The Philadelphia Bulletin – Philadelphia, PA, 1967 to 1982
- Assist with job assignments and work flow on night shift.
- Make certain all deadlines were achieved.
- Assume responsibilities of Art Director as needed.
- Staff of 12 Artist/Designers on my shift.
The United States Army- Vietnam, 1966 to 1967
Current Intelligence Indication, Vietnam
- Attached to General Westmoreland’s Staff responsible for presentations to High Ranking Military
- Personnel and Executive Branch of United States Government.
- Awarded Joint Service Commendation Medal.
Staff Artist/ Designer
The Philadelphia Bulletin – Philadelphia, PA, 1961 to 1965
- Create and design Retail ads.
- Create maps and charts for Editorial News Features.
- Produce Promotional pieces for newspaper.
Major Commercial Photography
Antonelli School of Photography – Philadelphia, PA, 1969 to 1971
Pre-Professional Program / Commercial Art & Design
Philadelphia College of Art – Philadelphia, PA, 1961 to 1962
Fine Arts Studies and Application
Bryn Mawr Center for the Arts – Bryn Mawr, PA, 1959 to 1960
Possess effective people skills, artistic insight, critical thinking ability, technical proficiency, and thorough knowledge of print processes and techniques. QuarkXpess, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator.
Interests and Affiliations
- Antiques, Vintage Collector Cars, Woodworking, Furniture Refinishing, Gardening
- Historical Car Club of Pennsylvania
- Porsche Club of America
- Arbor Day Foundation